Teen Advisory Board
Blue Baboon Books is building a stronger reading community with the creation of its Teen Advisory Board. Middle- and high-school students who are members of TAB members are important cogs in constructing a strong literary culture among youth in the Wichita area.
What do we do in our TAB meetings?
- Board members receive and keep FREE advance reader copies (ARCs) of new or upcoming books to review and discuss.
- We create interesting displays in our store.
- Volunteer at Blue Baboon Books events.
- Discuss ways to promote literacy throughout the Wichita area.
- Give informed and unique event and buying input.
TAB members also receive 20% off all regularly priced merchandise at Blue Baboon Books throughout their tenure on the board.
Teen Advisory Board Goals & Expectations
- Board members must attend at least five of the six upcoming Teen Advisory Board meetings. If a board member misses more than one meeting, he or she will not be invited
- Teen Advisory Board must present an informed and educated book review of the ARCs they receive. This can be in the form of a well-written review or a video review. Written reviews must be at last three well-written paragraphs. Video reviews must be at least two minutes long. All reviews must be completed at home before the next meeting. For instance: If a board member receives a book at our January meeting, s/he must have completed a written or video review of the book before the February meeting. Reviews may be submitted electronically via email or turned in at the store.
- TAB members must volunteer for at least two Blue Baboon Books events during their board tenure. For instance, you may be asked to help at some of our summer day camps, during a storytime event, or at an author event.
- Teen Advisory Board meeting schedule:
- 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 26
- 11 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23
- 11 a.m. Saturday, March 23
- 11 a.m. Saturday, April 20
- 11 a.m. Saturday, May 25
- 11 a.m. Saturday, June 29
While not required, Teen Advisory Board members are strongly encouraged to do the following:
- Write fun and creative blog posts, and/or create visually appealing vlog posts to be posted on Blue Baboon Books website and social media.
- Promote Blue Baboon Books on personal social media accounts via sharing events or creating your own posts to promote our store, events, and merchandise. If TAB members do not have social media, we hope they'll encourage friends, parents, and family members to promote Blue Baboon Books.
- Write shelf-talkers.
- Come up with creative and fun themes for Blue Baboon Books
If you're interested in applying to be a TAB member, please download and complete THE APPLICATION.